I doubt that I am the only one who found the sound of the ocean somewhat frustrating. I am gad that you added the subtitles, but it is not too difficult to clear up the majority of the background noise. I am happy to provide you with an example, or clean up the all of the beach audio, if you are interested. I work with audio and video on a daily basis, so this is not difficult for me to do.
Please follow the link below.
My reply took a lot longer than I had initially planned. The major reason for the delay has been my hesitancy to reply with an example of what could be done, or to just send you screen shots and a description of what was done. I finally settled on using 30 seconds of the original 10 minutes I had processed back on the 17th. This should be sufficient to provide an example of what can be done without providing enough content for anyone to want to try and grab it. I will be deleting this file within a week of posting the link above, or sooner if I hear back from you.
It has been my experience that written descriptions of audio processing techniques are less than ideal for conveying to someone what the end product will sound like. This is why my reply has taken so long. I have been wrestling with the little issue of disrespecting the rights of your intellectual and creative property so that I may be able to demonstrate how how it could be improved. So I finally settled on shortening the example to 30 seconds and that I will delete the file within 5 days of posting this comment. If you reply that you have received file, I will delete it as soon as I see that reply.
Now for some details. I intentionally made the capture in such a way that it should not be of interest to the average viewer. I also chose to leave in the color distortions and artifacts so discourage any interest in this file. The audio however, is problematic. Any time cleanup like this is done, it is best to work with the source material. This is why you will hear artifacts in the audio that would not be there if the processing was done on the source file before it is converted to H.264/5.
I normally use Reaper for audio editing and DaVinci Resolve for video. In this case I chose to use DaVinci Resolve. I decided to only use plugins from the iZotope pro bundle, so to keep things simple. They have a lot of predefined presets that can get you close to where you need to be.
Specifically I used:
RX Voice De-noise
RX Pro De-hum
RX Pro De-crackle
RX Pro De-plosive
Nectar - Hiss and Rumble Reduction preset
Ozone - Emphasize Midrange
The Nectar and Ozone products combine multiple modules to achieve their results.
Admittedly you can accomplish a lot of this using the stock plugins in Reaper. However, iZotope's RX line of plugins create fewer artifacts and the end result is generally better. It also takes less time to to the end result.
With each plugin I took the time to dial it in manually for the best results. Most of these settings are easily seen in the screen shots in the folder titled settings.
The order of the plugins does matter as well. For this video they were stacked in the order I have listed them; starting with the RX Voice De-noise and ending with Ozone.
I hope this helps. If you would like any additional information, or my assistance please let me know and I can get you my direct contact info.
Hi Michael. This is really valuable advice. Thanks. I have everything and am studying it closely. You were kind to go through all of this in such detail.
I have taken down the video files so that they cannot be picked up by others. If you have any questions about audio, or video feel free to contact me. I think that you should have my email address; however, if you need another form of contact info, just let me know.
In watching your material I have observed your evolution of audio equipment and techniques. The quality has improved, but I could offer some additional suggestions if you are interested.